According to visual.ly the average American consumes 3.4 pounds of candy over Halloween and that sugar feeds the cavity causing bacterial in your mouth.
According to American Dental Association:
- Chocolate is your best bet, as it washes off your teeth easier
- Sticky and gummy candies are harder to remove and literally stick around
- Hard candy can break your pearly whites
- Sour candy scores among the worst. The acidity can make teeth more vulnerable to cavities.
- Popcorn is the worst offender. The kernels can get stuck in gums and in-between teeth, going unnoticed causing bone loss.
Most dentists actually say it’s okay to splurge on Halloween candy as long as you’re brushing twice a day and flossing once a day, all year long.